I Forge Iron

Going out on a limb here

Hey there, my name is korbyn milani and i am going out on a limb here. Ive always thought that metal working is such a cool craft and i've always been fascinated with it. I finally decided that it is something that i really want to pursue but unfortunately, i have no idea where to start. By chance i found this group here, and i thought that maybe you guys could help me out. I was wondering if someone out there might be willing to take me under their wing and teach me about blacksmithing.

I'm pretty much a broke collage student, but i would be more than willing to work for it. I would be happy to chop wood, clean your shop, mow the lawn. you name it. I would also pay for the materials that i used, all i would want is guidance and a place to work. And if you live in the valley, i'm not opposed to driving out, its worth it to me. i'm by no means foreign to a workshop, having used hydraulic and vacuum presses, and pretty much every power tool under the sun. you would by no means be working from scratch, i'm very comfortable and knowledgable in a shop. 

I know that there are workshops here and there, but it seems that they are un-often, very expensive, and prior knowledge is needed. I know this is a large request, but it never hurts to ask. Really, even just some pointers in the right direction would also be great.    thanks guys

Hi Korbyn,

Before the replies get going. You might consider putting your location down. So that those nearby can speak up. I'm thinking Alaska, others might think ohhhhhhhh Australia, or somewhere else. Welcome to IFI. Pretty soon there will most likely be a reply stating welcome and  please put your location, etc. Lets see Alaska and willing to drive to a valley?

Rashelle

Look under the same section you posted to for >June demo by Goesta Gablick  

Blacksmithing Demonstrations June 17th Anchorage AK, June 18th Palmer AK

The association of Alaskan Blacksmiths will be presenting two Blacksmithing demonstrations by visiting German Blacksmith Goesta Gablick. Goesta is a professional Blacksmith who has placed in the top ranks of the International Blacksmithing championships in Europe. Goesta will be demonstrating his techniques for designing and forging artworks.

GO !! 

You will learn more there in a day than anywhere else in a year.

Pack a lunch and a cold drink and read IForgeIron. Read the stickies first as they contain the answers to many of your questions. Read what interests you next, and finally read the rest of the site.  Be sure to read the new posts so you can keep up as you catch up.

Find a fuel that is available and cheap (if there is such a thing as cheap) and locate or build a forge to use that fuel. Find a piece of metal with a mass of 75 to 100 pounds or more, and a 2 pound hammer. You can make most everything else you will need. If you have questions, try to find the answers on the site first, and then tell us what you found and ask for additional information.  Chances are we would have referenced what you already read otherwise.

Hi Korbyn,

Before the replies get going. You might consider putting your location down. So that those nearby can speak up. I'm thinking Alaska, others might think ohhhhhhhh Australia, or somewhere else. Welcome to IFI. Pretty soon there will most likely be a reply stating welcome and  please put your location, etc. Lets see Alaska and willing to drive to a valley?

Rashelle

Oh come on Darlin, there are 663,300 sq. miles in Alaska, around 650,000 people and only ONE valley worth "The" as the designator. Had he meant one of the of the valleys he would've said so, say: the Tanana Valley, the Nunaka Valley, etc.

I live in The Valley. seriously, virtually anyone in Alaska knows exactly what you mean if you say "The Valley," it goes back to the Depression and Colony days. It's two large river vallies, Matanuska and Susitna that merge into the Mat Su Valley, better known as The Valley.

Uh, let's see where was I? Oh Korbyn I've been known to take on a person now and then, I live just the other side of Wasilla off the Parks and am always up for lighting a fire and beating the snot out of poor defenseless steel. Do you know where the Wasilla Airport is? Saturday, June 21is the Art On Fire event at the Museum of Transportation and Industry. The club will be set up in front of the trains, well I will, the other guys may like a different spot better but that's where we've been before.

As awesome as we blacksmiths are, the real show is the iron pour. Pat will be setting up a cupola melter and a wild crew of fire crazed fiends will be doing the dance with 2,000f molten iron. Always a great show. Food music, arts dependent on fire, people having a good time. Nice civilized party. Come out early and help me set up and pack at the end of the day. It's a demonstration day we'll give the audience an idea of a teaching situation.

PM me.

Frosty The Lucky.